Monday, November 15, 2010

Mexican Made EASY!

I promise you my post will be much different than the show, Mexican Made Easy on the Food Network.  I'm not referring to that show in any way, nor have I made any recipes from that show.  I'm just choosing to  share some of yummy, authentic, and healthy takes on Mexican in a simple way.  I'm Mexican so why not bring out my culture more?

I forgot to capture the last time I made a full- on Mexican feast, so I did a do-over last night for my mom and I.  It came out delicious.  There's SO many processed, non-authentic, and overall unhealthy takes on Mexican fare out there.  It's quite sad how our country views Mexican food.  It really doesn't need to be smothered in lard, meat, preservatives, additives, cheese, etc.  It really can be simple and authentic, without wrecking the flavor.

Here's my take on a couple Mexican meals I've enjoyed the last few days.  First Mexi- meal: Veggie fajitas with whole-made corn tortillas, guacamole, and beans.  Second: Black bean burgers!


For the veggie fajitas, I sauteed a bunch of veggies I got last weekend from my local farmers market:
Really, you can do ANY veggies you choose for fajitas-- they don't need to be solely onions and peppers.  I choose onions, zucchini, homegrown chard, bell peppers, garlic and carrots.  
I chopped up them all up finely, then threw them on the heat!
Colors of the rainbow?!?

Then, while the veggies were sauteing over medium heat, I started on my whole-made corn tortillas...
Whole-made Corn tortillas
1 1/2 C. Corn Masa (Corn flour)
1 Cup warm water
Sea Salt
Lime juice (optional)
Combine all ingredients and kneed with hands till well combined.  Cover dough mixture with a towel for 15 minutes or so.  
Make into small balls, and put in a tortilla flattener, if using.  If not, flatten with hands or kneed into small tortillas with a rolling pin.  
Fry in a non- stick pan till cooked through or desired  texture.

Dough after 15 minutes covered.  

Flattened, using my authentic handy-dandy tortilla flattener.

And onto the heat:
Mmmm, now there's some NICE looking preservative- free tortillas for you :)!

Meanwhile, I started on my beans...

I could've gone the whole nine yards and boiled my own, but I took the shortcut for this one and just used a can of no- salt added black  beans, which I heated over low- heat till I was ready to eat.  To jazz them up, I added about 1/2 t of ground cumin, as well as a tablespoon of fresh lime juice and some sea salt.

I then started on my favorite part-- The guacamole!


And wah- lah!  There's really not much to this guac, I like mine fresh and simple, but I'll share the recipe I used.
Guacamole Authentico:
2 large avocados
Juice of 1-2 limes
Sea salt and pepper
Onion, jalapenos, or peppers (optional, if desired)
Agave or other sweetener (optional, I opted for none)

Puree or mash till smooth and creamy.

Easy as one, two, three-- I told you the genuine Mexican food doesn't have to be over the top and it's coming from a true (somewhat) Mexican :)

 Veggies cooked and lookin' fine...

Tortillas done and in my authentic warmer

And it's a meal!
Veggie fajitas with whole-made corn tortillas, black beans and a generous amount of guacamole-- just how I likes it :)

So yummy, fresh, easy and yet, authentic.  

And I promised you these easy hummus black- bean burgers I came up with--



Yep, still working my way through this Costco beast!


Hummus- Black Bean Burgers--

3/4 C. Black beans (pinto would work fine, too)
1/2-1 C. veggies of choice (I choose onions, and peppers, but anything would work)
2 heaping tablespoons of hummus (I choose roasted- red pepper)
1/4 t chili powder
Cayenne pepper (depending on the fire you like)
1/4 t paprika
Garlic gold 
Sea salt and pepper

-Start off by mashing beans till well- mashed.
-When beans are mashed, add all other ingredients and combine with clean hands till well mixed.  
-Form into flattened balls and bake on a non-stick baking sheet at 415 degrees for about 15 minutes or until well cooked and golden.
-Devour!

And of course, I ate mine with sweet potaters, avocado and a classic cabbage salad.



Yum-- I just LOVE Mexican fare and I don't know why I don't cook it everyday :).  It does take some work, but overall, it doesn't take much to create a decadent, healthy, authentic and fresh meal.  You don't  need a bunch of cheese, preservatives, and added crap to cover the true flavors and taste of true, honest to goodness Mexican food.

I hope you enjoyed this post and let me know if you have ANY questions what so ever :)

Enjoy your evening and Tuesday.  Be back soon. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment