Monday, October 18, 2010

Hello, Mrs. Vitamix!!!!!!

imgres.jpg


You heard right from the title-- I'm getting my very own VITAMIX blender!  I'm SO extremely excited.  I'll tell you the story of how a dream turned into reality, but i'm oh so tired, so bare with me!  I just completed an 8 1/2 hour shift at work-- crazy, huh?  If my grammer and words get odd, again, bare with me :)

My mama was doing dishes the other night and sadly dropped the not-so-poor "Oster Blender" on it's side, causing it to shatter.

imgres.jpg
That's not the first time this belittled blender has broke-- rather, it's the second time.  I broke the last blender, doing the same thing: dishes.  We quickly got a replacement at Costco as I can't go too long without a blender.  I mean, who do you think I am without my smoothies? :)

After this second mishap with Mr. Oster, we decided to look to Vitamix.  By "we", I mean my dad and I.

(Just getting home from work on Saturday) "What?  Who broke the blender this time? Ohhhh no."

(Mi papa) "There was a ton of dishes left out and mom had a mistake.  Sorry.  What about that amazing blender you wanted, maybe we should give that a shot this time."

"The Vitamix?  Oh my gosh, can we PLEASE?"

"Let's try to find a reasonably priced one" (dad)

And that's just what the conversation consisted of-- short and to the point.  YOW, I cannot wait to dig into some protein ice cream and actually make blended concoctions without having to add tons of liquid.    The price?  SUPER expensive, however, I called the Vitamix site to see if there were any reconditioned ones for cheaper, and there were!  I bought mine for $379, plus sales tax and shipping.  The actual total came to $440.  Not terrible, but definitely a hefty investment-- a good one though.  One that'll last for A LONG time and won't break quickly, like Mr. Oster.

I don't know if I'll be able to be patient for 7-10 days waiting for this amazing, wonderful (and all positive synonyms) gadget, but I simply must.

Enough about the Vitamix--although, I am quite giddy, as you can see.  I made the yummiest thai-autumn soup for lunch today.


I paired the soup with some Gayle's organic pain de campange bread (con almond butter) and a homegrown apple.



Thai Harvest Soup--
Makes 1 large Emilia size serving, or two smaller size servings.

1 garlic clove, minced.
1/4 of an onion, diced.
Oil of choice (I used coconut oil)
1 whole carrot, chopped.
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup chickpeas (or desired amount)
1/2 of a cooked acorn squash (any other cooked winter squash would work fine, too)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
A few dashes of cinnamon
A few dashes of cayenne pepper (to liking)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a nonstick pan with oil of choice and add garlic and onion; cook till soft.  Add carrot and cook to tender; then, add kale in bunches.  Add chickpeas, squash flesh and spices, stirring to combine with all ingredients.  Once mixture is soft and well combined, add the veggie broth; bring to a boil, then simmer to 5-10 minutes.  Turn off heat when soup reaches desired consistency (it'll thicken up as it's cooked longer).

The soup was super yummy and hearty, however, I think I would've made it with coconut milk next time.  It was already creamy and rich with the addition of winter squash, but the coconut milk would've given it more of a Thai taste and made it creamier.   I'll definitely be making that again soon, it was easy, very filling and nutritious.

Alright, I'm off to bed, it's been a LONG day.  Goodnight and reminis in the good news with me-- my new and upcoming blog and the addition of a Vitamix to my kitchen! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I hope to be a proud owner of a Vitamix someday :) I'm so happy for you that you were able to get one at a discount.

    ReplyDelete