Monday, October 25, 2010

Pasta al' pesto, spaghetti- squash style

Today was a very low- key, relaxed day-- No work, no school, no nothin'!  However, I can't say I could freely enjoy the day, as I had a lot of homework and errands to catch up on.

Did I spend the day getting done what I need to get done?   Somewhat, but for the most part, no!  I just felt lackadaisical all day and wanted to do nothing but lay around-- and catch up on blogs :).  I did get stuff done, but not as much as I intended to.  That's alright, I've cut myself some slack.  Then again, I worked all weekend, so I'm catching up on the weekend I missed out on.

Other than sitting around the computer all day and getting homework done, I cooked up some delicious meals as well.

In fact, I was craving spaghetti squash all day, so that's just what I cooked up for supper tonight.  Sadly though, I grabbed a green acorn squash at TJs the other day-- a rather large one for that matter.  I meant to get a spaghetti squash, so instead of driving all the way to TJs (10-15 minutes away), I just bought one from a nearby grocery store, Safeway.

Before I get into my fab. spaghetti squash dinner, I just wanted to show you my beautiful asian-themed lunch:

Baked tofu (marinated in rice wine vinegar, tamari and sesame oil), baked sweet potato fries (drizzles with coconut butter) and sauteed kale (in coconut oil, garlic and sesame oil) and red cabbage.
Yum, this meal took one for the team-- It was THAT good!

I love coconut, basically on anything and everything.

*For exact ingredients on marinades, please do ask me!*

My basil tree still has tons of fresh basil on it, weirdly, since it's well into fall now.  That's why when I had my heart set on jazzing up some spaghetti squash for dinner, I knew i'd use my basil in some way for the sauce....

For cashew pesto, that is!


Spaghetti squash al' pesto
Serves one hearty appetite!

1 spaghetti squash
2 cups fresh basil (tightly packed)
2 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
1/4 cup cashew (soaked)
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Salt and peper to taste

--Cut your spaghetti squash in half and place on a well- greased baking sheet face up.
--Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until fork tender.
--Allow to cool for a few minutes, then scoop out seeds then stringy flesh.
--Meanwhile, for the pesto, combine all ingredients, except spaghetti squash into a high-speed food processor and process until well- blended.  Add water or more oil till pesto reaches desired consistency.
--Mix cashew-pesto sauce with desired amount of spaghetti squash.


I served mine with a side salad consisting of arugala, tomato and mushrooms--sprayed with balsamic vinegar.

Twas' one tasty meal.  If you have any basil or spaghetti squash on hand, do give this easy and nutritious meal a try!  It takes a matter of 10 minutes to prepare (not including squash bake time).  Mmmm, it was yummy.  I'm super full though, not sure why spaghetti squash is so filling :)

Alright, I'm going to finish some icky math homework!  Sending lots of coconut :) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment